Pikotek® PGE™ System Isolating Gaskets/Kits
The Pikotek® PGE™ is a low-pressure service isolation kit designed for electrical flange isolation and/or general sealing applications
The PGE™ was designed to give operators an alternative to the failure prone phenolic-based isolating gaskets. The unique design of the PGE™ system incorporates patented overlapping and offsetting seal grooves. The purpose of this design is to break each layer of laminate within the gasket itself, thereby creating a barrier through which fluid and/or gas cannot migrate. The sealing element can be any elastomeric material, as well as more sophisticated spring-energized PTFE lip seals. As a result of this advanced seal design, maintenance-free flange isolation and flange face corrosion mitigation are achieved economically. Depending upon the sealing element selected, the PGE™ is rated for most hydrocarbon and water service applications.
This gasket is suitable for use in raised-face and flat-face flanges in ANSI Class 150, 300 and 600 service¹ (or equivalent). In addition to providing electrical isolation, the gasket is excellent for isolating flanges made of dissimilar metals or where prevention of flange face corrosion is desired.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- High-reliability, low-pressure sealing system
- Provides excellent electrical isolation for cathodic protection systems²
- Overlapping seals help prevent potential leak/weep path in the laminate material
- Also available with a variety of elastomeric seals including spring-energized PTFE or O-ring pressure activated seals
- Protects against flange face corrosion and flow-induced erosion
- Available in ring (type F) style or full-face (type E) style
- Superior sealing solution for low-pressure (ANSI class 150, 300 and up to 600) service
- Pressure-activated seals provide high confidence sealing
- High-strength laminate material resists failure due to excessive compression (i.e. over tightening bolts)
- Reinforced laminate retainer material provides excellent isolation for cathodic protection systems
- Gasket is sized to the bore, which protects flange faces from media-induced corrosion and flow-induced erosion
- Mitigates galvanic corrosion in dissimilar metal flanges
- Developed from proven PSI/Pikotek sealing technology
- Spring-energized PTFE seal provides radial load and encapsulation in the seal groove, which eliminates cold flow
- Easy installation, make up and removal
- Self-aligning and self-centering gasket is quick to install
- Low required bolt loads. Less make-up force is required, resulting in less flange and bolt stress
G-10 NEMA grade G-10 Glass-Reinforced Epoxy (GRE) laminate
- Compressive Strength: 66,000 PSI
- Dielectric Strength: 800 VPM Max.
- Continuous Operating Temp: 302° F / 150° C
- Water Absorption: 0.10
- Flexural Strength: 65,000 PSI / CW 52,000 PSI
- Tensile Strength: LW 40,000 PSI / CW 32,000 PSI
G-11 NEMA grade G-11 Glass-Reinforced Epoxy (GRE) High Temp. laminate material
- Compressive Strength: 50,000 PSI
- Dielectric Strength: 550 VPM Max
- Continuous Operating Temp: 392° F / 200° C
- Water Absorption: 0.20
- Flexural Strength: LW 57,000 PSI
- Tensile Strength: LW 41,000 PSI
The PGE™ is an excellent choice for isolating distribution lines and transport lines for gas, oil and water. Because the PGE™ has near zero creep relaxation³, it performs well in heat exchangers, applications with high vibration or excessive thermal cycling.
SEAL RETAINER The PGE™ seal retainer is constructed from NEMA grade G-10 glass-reinforced epoxy (GRE). This material has excellent performance characteristics with very high compressive strength, high flexural strength, high dielectric strength and low fluid absorption. PGE™ seals made from grade G-10 material are rated for service up to 302° F (150° C). For higher temperature service, grade G-11 is an acceptable alternative material, which is rated for 392° F (200° C) continuous service. Two overlapping and offsetting seal grooves are machined into the high strength retainer in order to break the potential leak/weep path that is inherent in all glass laminate materials.
SEALING ELEMENTS The composite retainer backing material behind the seal remains uncontaminated and thus permanently holds the seal in place in a static, fully-encapsulated manner. GPT offers three standard sealing elements for use with the PGE™. For custom applications, other sealing elements such as Kalrez or EPDM may be specified. The three standard seals are:
PTFE (spring-energized) Recommended for all environments. Helical wound spring provides radial load. Encapsulation in the seal groove reduces creep or cold flow. This sealing system truly distinguishes Pikotek® systems from all other flange sealing systems.
Viton General purpose oilfield elastomer. Excellent resistance to aliphatic hydrocarbons and glycols. Good resistance to aromatic hydrocarbons.
Not recommended for: Systems with amine inhibitors and in piping systems containing significant partial pressures of H2S, polar gases (i.e. CO2) or where radical pressure drops commonly occur.
Nitrile General purpose elastomer. Excellent for use in water systems or with some aliphatic hydrocarbons, silicone base fluids and glycol based systems.
Not recommended for: Systems containing H2S, aromatic hydrocarbons, phosphate esters or halogenated hydrocarbons; piping systems subjected to radical pressure drops or piping systems containing significant partial pressures of polar gases (i.e. CO2).
In order to electrically isolate the two flange faces, isolating sleeves and washers are required.GRE washers are recommended for use with the PGE gasket and have a compressive strength of 66,000 psi. Two metal washers are also provided for each sleeve.